The Old Hall
The old Village Hall was bought, by Mungrisdale Women’s Institute, in 1924 for £82 from the Carrock Mining Company. It was dismantled and transported by horse and cart to the site opposite The Mill Inn.
The overall fabric of the building had deteriorated and the hall lacked the modern amenities required by today’s standards. A decision was taken therefore to raise funds for a new hall.
In March 2003 we were very pleased to receive a major Community Fund grant which provided the impetus to move forward. After two years of planning and fundraising including grants from Eden District Council and Defra, building of the new hall began in March 2004. The new hall was completed early in 2005 at a cost of £368,000.
Read the Cumberland & Westmorland Herald report about the last meeting in the old Village Hall in 2004: View PDF
Read about the planning process for the new hall: View PDF
Read the Mid Cumberland & North Westmorland Herald report about Mungrisdale Village Institute’s decision to purchase a hall in 1924: View PDF
The New Hall
Mungrisdale Village Hall is a very important part of village life and the new building provides a focus for very many activities for both young and old in the community for many years to come.
Regular uses include hosting village social events; touring rural arts groups; Parish Council Meetings and Surgeries: Women’s Institute; Creative Writing, Scottish Reeling and Art groups, It is also a popular venue for local private celebrations and from outside groups such as the Royal Air Force Mountain Rescue Teams, Spinners Guild, and GPS Training Courses.